Thursday, April 30, 2009

"I Can't Believe My Kids Are Eating This!"

Weekends in at the Log Cabin are usually packed with kids and parents visiting.   We live close to 4 ski resorts in Tahoe, and have a gigantic sled hill in the back yard... it's a draw.

One weekend, we had 6 adults and 8 kids (outnumbered, as usual).  Saturday night is my big cooking night.  I have guests bring breakfast, and appetizers, but I like to cook the main meal. Unless a real chef visits - and then I let them do the cooking!


Catherine's Carbonara:  

I had just been to visit my darling friend Catherine the weekend before (she's an Aussie jewelry designer who cooks up a storm!) - and she made this amazingly light and delicious Carbonara.  Now, if you know anything about Carbonara, you know that "light" and "Carbonara" don't usually belong in the same sentence.  

Our guests actually cringed when they heard me tell them what I was making.   Served in your average Italian restaurant with the checked cloths and a glass of Chianti, it is akin to eating an entire mounded dinner plate of ice cream - at least that's how it will show up on your hips.

Prepare yourself - it's delicious, light, healthy AND the kids asked not only for 2nds, but 3rds!

Shopping List to Serve 4

-chopped pancetta (recommend getting it in the pre-chopped box at Trader Joe's)
-chopped fresh thyme (I use about half a bunch from the produce section)
-paprika (I used smoked), a couple of pinches
-Creme Fraiche, or Crema Mexicana (about 3 large spoonfulls)
-a few tablespoons white wine (sorry Catherine, can't resist adding WINE!)
-broccoli trees (2 or 3 cups)
-Penne pasta
-2 large eggs, whisked together

Mix it Up!

-Start the pasta water to boil, put noodles in when boiling
-Steam the broccoli tree heads, when they are done, drain them and keep them warm in a 150 degree oven.
-While pasta and broccoli trees cook, use a large skillet or pot to fry the pancetta with the chopped thyme and paprika, until slightly browned
-Add a few tablespoons of the Creme Fraiche
-Add the wine and turn the burner down to low/simmer just to keep the sauce warm.
-When pasta is done cooking, drain and immediately add it to the skillet with the sauce in it.
-Turn the burner to medium, add the whisked eggs to the hot pot, and stir while heating.
-Salt and pepper to taste
-Mix in the broccoli trees and Mangia!




1 comment:

  1. Okay - now that sounds so yummy wondeful. Will have to make it for Robert. I love pancetta!

    ReplyDelete